When My Eyes Close

It's awful cold out. Today I let the cat in and I had to defrost him in the microwave.” Grandpa Lee jested trying to comfort me after knowing he had been sent to the hospital.
“Grandpa you aren't home,” I acknowledged, trying to cease my tears. “You're in the hospital.”
“I know,” he replied grasping my hand. “I was trying to cheer you up.”
Tears poured down my face as Dr. Shepherd appeared, “Are you ready for surgery, Mr. Brown?”
He brought his wrinkled hand to my face and kissed my cheek, “I love you more than anything, my squiggle-bottoms,” he muttered in my ear, indirectly avoiding the doctor's question.
“I love you, too,” the only word I could render before he let go of my hand and the doctor wheeled him away to heart surgery.
The waiting room was scarce of company; I was the only one there. I tried to keep myself occupied, not thinking of all the possibilities that could happen during surgery. My eyelids slowly drifted closed and a scene unfolded before me. I was in the operating room observing my grandfather's surgery. All of the sudden something went wrong, the blood stopped circulating and he began to flat-line.
“NOOOOOOOO!” I yelled in despair as the doctors scrambled. “You have to save him.”
The surgeons frantically used the paddles to shock his heart. His body jolted into the air, but to no avail, he was still flat-lining. They tried again, but this time I woke up.
Dr. Shepherd poised looming over me, rattling my shoulder. A solemn look crossed over his face and I knew what had happened. Tears flooded my eyes as he spoke the unwanted news.
“I'm sorry, we did all we could, but we couldn't save him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment