Laughtracked

I was six years old yesterday.
I remember coloring in a far-too-happy clown
I gave it to a girl, I can't remember her name
But I remember her face when
She laughed.

I blinked, I turned thirteen.
I shaved my face for my first date
It was with her parents
I told them a few quick one-liners.
They didn't laugh.

I blinked again, age fifteen.
I had a history test.
Maps, dates, names got mixed in with
Butterflies and the memory of a first kiss
We laughed.

I tried to blink, she was gone
Wondering where I went wrong
I wrote things down in
Notebooks full of teenage angst,
Pent-up anger, penned-out anguish,
To that, I laugh.

Ha-ha-ha-how did I end up here?
With you? Of all people?
Tangled up, wound tight.
There's Brand New on the stereo
And everything is alright

Blink.

You're sticking your tongue out.
Clover-shaped, ridiculous,
Hey, that's pretty funny!
I love it when you make me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment